The first UK Five-Day Academy for Spiritual Formation is being planned by a team of 6 who were invited to go experience a similar programme in Atlanta, USA in February 2015. Known in the USA as The 5-day Academy for Spiritual Formation, this is now a well-established programme all over American and operates in a number of other countries as well.
The team are shown below on a recent retreat held at Drumalis:
From left to right: Kenneth Browne is a spiritual director, psychotherapist and Celtic spirituality workshop leader based in London; Oseias da Silva is a Methodist minister in the Forest circuit, London; Sheryl Anderson is a minister and the Chair of the Liverpool Methodist district; Nicola Vidamour, team leader, is a Methodist superintendent minister in London; Jill Baker is a Methodist lay volunteer and pilgrimage leader, based in Glasgow; Lia Shamada (who was not part of the group who went to Atlanta, but will be the Community musical director); Jonathan Mead works in London as a minister and Learning and Development Officer in the Methodist Church.
Covid-19 has disrupted life as we know it across the world. At this time we hold in prayer all who are suffering sickness and bereavement as a result of the virus and we pray for those who on the front line in health care and scientific research.
In Britain and Ireland, the Community for Spiritual Formation has cancelled the event planned for June 2020 in Larne, Ireland, although it is hoped that this will be held in a different venue in the future.
Currently our plans for the future are as follows:
Aspects of Community: 15th – 18th October 2020, Cliff College, Derbyshire
- This will be our first ‘Three-Day Community for Spiritual Formation’, taking place over a weekend at Cliff College, who are including this as a retreat in their Short Courses Programme. Please go to this page of their website for more information or to register.
- We are delighted that the sessions will be led by Dr. Roger Walton, a former President of the Methodist Conference, widely published author and good friend of the Community.
- NB: If the situation regarding the Coronavirus is such that this event cannot go ahead as planned, all money paid will be fully refunded.
Waiting on the Word: 7th – 12th November 2021, Cliff College, Derbyshire
- A full Five-Day Community focussing on poetry and images for the Advent season. Our two presenters will be Dr. Malcolm Guite, well-known contemporary poet (and much else besides) and Sister Margaret Crinyion OSM a Roman Catholic nun who lives as a hermit.
- Note the dates now, registration for this event will open in Autumn 2020.
Divine Intimacy, Ordinary Holiness: 10th – 15th July 2022, St, John’s College, Durham
- Picking up from the June 2020 cancelled event, Gemma Simmonds CJ, a well-known author and broadcaster on spirituality has again agreed to be with us to explore this fascinating theme. The second speaker is yet to be confirmed.
- Registration will open for this event during 2021.
Registration forms will be added to the website in due course.
General Information about the Community
Through a programme of teaching, silence, worship and reflection based on a Benedictine monastic pattern,
the Five-Day Community for Spiritual Formation
- root spirituality in Christian faith and tradition
- provide opportunity for participation in community life
- form people for life in a changing world