Through a programme of teaching, silence, worship and reflection based on a Benedictine monastic pattern The Community for Spiritual Formation creates transformative space for people to be in communion with God, self, others, and creation for the sake of the world.
Dates for your diary
- Saturday 19th November 2022. Online Advent Day: Treasures of Darkness. Registration is now open for this Online Day to be held on Saturday 19th November, facilitated by Edel McLean, a facilitator and spiritual director who currently works for the Learning Network of the Methodist Church.
- Download the flier below
- Email email@example.com to register (NB Registration closes on 4th November) .
- Saturday 18th March 2023. Online Lent Day: Discovering a spirituality for today. An online day during Lent 2023 led by Ruth Harvey, Leader of the Iona Community.
- Save the date now – more details and a registration form will be available here in December.
- Tuesday 18th – Friday 21st July 2023. Three-Day Community: ‘Who are you? Living a Godly life’. To be held at Ripon College, Cuddesdon, Oxford with Rev. Dr. Sam Wells.
- Further information is below, where you can also download the flier and registration form.
‘Treasures of Darkness’ Online Day
Download the flier here for more information.
Three-Day Community, July 2023
Who Are You? Living a Godly Life (5pm Tuesday 18th – 1pm Friday 21st July)
Recognising that we live our lives in multiple identities, Sam Wells will explore six identities and how each is vital. While showing and extensively illustrating what is entailed by each identity, he accepts that almost no one fulfils all six. Nonetheless, articulating the six helps surface and clarify difficult questions, like how those we greatly admire turn out to be flawed in troubling ways. Having set out the six identities, he will finally explore how these six may become an agenda for faithful living.
Revd Dr Sam Wells has been Vicar of St Martin-in-the-Fields since 2012. He has served as a parish priest for 25 years – 10 of those in urban priority areas. He also spent 7 years in North Carolina, where he was Dean of Duke University Chapel. Sam is also Visiting Professor of Christian Ethics at King’s College. He is a regular contributor to Thought for the Day on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. He has published 44 books, including works on Christian ethics, ministry, liturgy, and preaching. Among his recent books is Humbler Faith, Bigger God (Eerdmans 2022).
The flier for this event with more information can be downloaded here
Divine Intimacy, Ordinary Holiness: 10th – 15th July 2022, St, John’s College, Durham
- Picking up from the June 2020 cancelled event, Gemma Simmonds CJ, a well-known author and broadcaster on spirituality and Rev. Dr. Andrew Walker, well-known spiritual director, teacher, lecturer and author led the Community in exploring this fascinating theme.
Waiting on the Word: 7th – 12th November 2021, Cliff College, Derbyshire
- A full Five-Day Community focussing on poetry and images for the Advent season with Rev. Dr. Malcolm Guite, well-known contemporary poet (and much else besides) and Sister Margaret Crinyion OSM a Roman Catholic nun who lives as a hermit.
- A wonderful pre-Advent gathering in which 30+ participants enjoyed stimulating teaching, thoughtful worship and preaching and a sense of forming, not merely individual spirituality, but spirituality in community as well.
Financial help with Community events
Please download this attachment for some ideas about finding financial help to attend a residential Community event.
General Information about the Community
Through a programme of teaching, silence, worship and reflection based on a Benedictine monastic pattern,
the Five-Day Community for Spiritual Formation
- root spirituality in Christian faith and tradition
- provide opportunity for participation in community life
- form people for life in a changing world
Community policies: Up-to-date Safeguarding and Health and Safety Policies for the Community for Spiritual Formation can be downloaded below.
Core Values and Ethos: The Community is linked to the Academy for Spiritual Formation, based in the US. Below you can also download the full Core Values of the Academy, as well as a summary sheet, Community Ethos and Values.